Overdosing Paracetamol May Cause Liver Damage, Says Recent Study

Paracetamol used for relieving pain and fever, has long been trusted due to its fast-acting nature. However, a recent warning from experts at the University of Edinburgh is anxious. Their study, focusing on how paracetamol impacts mice, revealed a concerning finding: it can damage the liver.

Overdosing Paracetamol May Cause Liver Damage, Says Recent Study

This means that overdosing on paracetamol can damage the liver. Liver the largest internal organ plays an important role in keeping us healthy. The experts highlighted that these harmful effects typically arise when it is overdosed. Generally, for those dealing with chronic pain, a daily intake of up to 4 grams of paracetamol is considered safe.

Despite this warning, there is a silver lining. The researchers believe that by understanding how paracetamol affects the liver. They can work towards developing treatments that protect this important organ from damage. So, while the news may sound alarming. It also opens up ways for potentially protecting our health in the future.

Researchers at the University of Edinburgh looked at how paracetamol affects liver cells. They studied both human and mouse tissue. Researchers found that in certain situations, paracetamol can damage the liver. It can do so by damaging important connections between cells in the liver. This damage can affect how the liver functions and can be harmful to our health.

This study is the first to link paracetamol's toxicity to the liver. It is similar to diseases like cancer, hepatitis and cirrhosis. Researchers from the Universities of Edinburgh and Oslo, along with the Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service, worked on this study. Their results were published in the journal Scientific Reports.

FAQ About Paracetamol.

(1) Paracetamol Side Effects

Paracetamol is effective in reducing pain and fever. But it can have side effects. Overdosing can harm the liver, leading to serious damage or failure. Excessive use may increase the risk of liver problems. Allergic reactions such as rash or swelling can occur. 

Misuse of paracetamol can result in overdose. Overdosing on paracetamol can be life-threatening. It's crucial to follow dosage instructions carefully. Consulting a healthcare professional before use is advisable. Always prioritize safety when using any medication, including paracetamol.

NOTE: The information provided here is for educational purposes only, not medical advice. Consult a healthcare professional for personalized guidance.

Post a Comment